Tuesday, July 10, 2012

There will be no underwires in Africa

13.  I had some time to talk with two dear friends/colleagues today.  We usually pass in the kitchen or ladies room, but spend most of our time in our work building huddled over our laptops, in our cubicles, frantically researching new teaching strategies and adding animation to powerpoint presentations.  Today we got to sit at a table, in the back of a room, and observe.  That's like a little bit of heaven. 

We got to listen to and observe groups of teachers/administrators engaging in "Productive Struggle."  That's a hot new term in education in Kentucky.  The best analogy I've heard involves using your GPS.  I will confess right now that I don't do maps.  I'm one of those odd people who has to turn the map so I'm always headed "up," and everything in front of me is North. When MapQuest came out with driving directions that involved words & numbers, rather than pictures, I was one happy woman.  When I left the classroom last year, my dear husband (who LOVES maps) gave me a fancy GPS.  I plug in the address of schools in very remote locations, and simply follow that sweet lady's commands.  I don't get lost (well usually).  The downside of this amazing technology is that I have no idea how to get to these schools without the GPS.  I have followed directions well, but I have not learned how to find these places, myself.  I don't know the names of the roads, I don't know which county is west or east or north or south of my home.  If I had to get a map out, turn in this way and that, trace the path, write out those driving directions myself, and drive there a couple of times, I would learn my way around.  That's "Productive Struggle."  We have to struggle through things a few times to learn and to own that learning.  Back to our observations today.  Those teachers and administrators showed up with huge binders full of data and they will leave on Thursday with a few concrete goals for their schools and a plan to achieve those goals.  Today was day one of "Productive Struggle."

My colleagues and I are observing so we can help facilitate these sessions in the future.  While the groups are productively discussing/debating/struggling through their data, we have a bit of downtime to talk.  After talking about upcoming presentations and trainings for which we must prepare, my colleagues asked a few questions about my upcoming trip to Niger.  We talked about our purpose, geography, food, squatty potties, and clothing. I explained that I will have to wear a long skirt and a scarf on my head.  I explained that I will have access to laundry so I can get by with 3 skirts and a few tshirts.  I explained my undergarment travel trick--take the old panties with bad elastic and throw them away.  Then we discussed brassieres and the amazing wonder of ....THE SPORTS BRA.  I boldly declared, "There will be no underwires in Africa." That, of course, sent us into a fit of giggles, the kind of giggles that make your tummy hurt and your nose tickle when you try to keep them quiet.

I believe I'm getting used to this blog idea.  When we restored our decorum, my first thought was, "That will make a great title for a blog post!" (I believe that one deserves an exclamation point)

No comments:

Post a Comment