Monday, July 9, 2012

The Countdown Continues

15.  A professional colleague asked a question on Facebook this weekend about exclamation points.  Many very scholarly folks wrote scholarly answers about the very rare occasions when exclamation points should be used.  I left a cute little answer about the way those pesky little things keep sneaking into my writing because I write, rather than speak, to so many people.  When I write, you can't hear my inflection or see my eyes light up or see my head bob and weave.  I use exclamation points to try to give you that feeling.  The scholarly response following mine suggested that good writers use other means to give voice to their writing.  So, I'm currently uber-aware of my use of exclamation points....until I get to Africa.  Then, get ready.  Not only will I end every sentence with an exclamation point if I feel like it; I may do worse and use multiple exclamation points; I may even commit the ultimate crime and do the question mark/exclamation point combo. 
14.  We started a new Bible study this week:  Nehemiah-A Heart That Can Break.  Kelly Minter, the author, talks about reaching a really good "place" in her life, but... "The trouble was that despite all these blessings, I was battling a mounting discontentment:  I was that odd blend of utterly thankful while feeling as if a significant piece was missing from the scene that, if found, would give this remarkable landscape its fuller and truer meaning."  I have been so blessed and am so thankful.  It's wonderful to reach a point of contentment at this stage in life.  The contentment is also unsettling, though.  God has blessed me; now who am I supposed to bless?  Nehemiah had a heart of compassion and that is what I'm want.  I want to feel the responsibility that a heart of compassion dictates! (!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment