Sunday, May 27, 2012

Random Musings on a Very Hot Sunday Afternoon...

I described, in an earlier post, the Sunday that I felt God telling me HE wanted me to go to Niger, on a mission trip.  About that time, I felt the increasing weight of passing time. That's a nice way of saying I realized I would be turning 50 in about 5 years.  I decided I needed to accomplish a few things before that big birthday, so I created a list.

Betsy's By Fifty Bucket List
1.  Become a National Board Certified Teacher
2.  Complete a 5K race
3.  Participate in a Mission Trip to Niger, Africa

These 3 items may seem totally unrelated, but they are strangely connected.  The National Boards process was rigorous and grueling.  It took lots of time, lots of study, lots of writing, lots of reflection on my practice as a teacher, and lots of prayer.  It's a 1-3 year process and I was able to earn the certification after one year.  Thank You Lord!!!  #1 check!

#1 led to #3.  Going through the National Boards process gave me new knowledge and new confidence, as a teacher.  I took on more responsibilities in my school and district and worked very hard to be a good teacher and a good leader.  I felt (sort of) ready to try something new and accepted a job working with Teacher Leaders from 35 school districts.  I've worked harder this year than I ever have before and I won't get a summer break.  Summer is a busy time of meetings and trainings for teachers who are on their Summer Break.  I do have the luxury of taking vacation days at other times of the year.  For example--schools were too busy to need me for any trainings in December.  My husband and I got to fulfill a dream and visit New York City during the Christmas season.  Schools around here begin very early in August, and during the last week of July, teachers are busy getting their classrooms ready or enjoying the end of their summer.  They are not attending trainings, so I can take some time off.  When our church's Mission's Calendar for 2012 was released, there was a trip to Niger, Africa listed for July 23-August 1.  I can go!!!  If I were still in the classroom, I would not be able to go on this trip.  Thank You Lord!!! #3 is almost ready to check.

#2 has a bit looser connection.  I was doing a pretty good job of getting to the gym before I got in the midst of the National Boards process.  When I started my new job, I completely stopped going.  Add to that the fact that I sit, a lot, in my new job (driving, office work), and there is amazing food available for lunch most days (lunches are catered for most trainings at my work place--there's always enough left for us to eat), and I was gaining a few pounds.  Since I have a treadmill in my basement and that deadline of 50 was creeping up, I started running on the treadmill.  On March 31st, my daughter and I ran in a 5K.  We completed it, running every single step.  Thank You Lord!!!         
#2 check!!

The big birthday is in September and, God willing, the bucket list will be complete.  Now it's time to start on:
Betsy's By 60  Bucket List.
#1 Skydiving (no, I'm not kidding)

No comments:

Post a Comment