Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My road to Africa

When I go to church with my husband and/or my best friend, LeeAnn, we sit downstairs-right section-midway back.  When I go alone, I sit up in the balcony, surrounded by strangers.  It's a completely different experience.  That's where I was sitting on THAT Sunday.

We are a missions-minded church.  Yesterday, our Missions Pastor posted, on Facebook, that this year, we have already sent over 400 people out to spread the Gospel.  On THAT Sunday, we watched a short video about a group who had gone to Niger, Africa. 

On THAT Sunday, I felt a message from God.  I don't hear messages; I feel them.  Sometimes a complete sentence just appears in my mind, and sometimes I just KNOW something.  I knew, THAT Sunday, that God wanted me to go to Africa.

So, I decided to grow out my hair. 

I'm in the process of learning the importance of Obedience, of doing these things I feel God impress on me.  It's a process.  On THAT Sunday, I was practicing Obedience by making the smallest little step possible.  Growing my hair out was something in my control, not a huge commitment, and could be explained away for other (perhaps more logical) reasons.

Now, my hair is long, plenty long for a pony-tail, and I'm headed to Niger, Africa, in July.  As my hair has grown, so has my desire to be Obedient.

This is a story about a journey to Africa and a journey to Obedience.

1 comment:

  1. Great start for a chronicle of this journey. Also, my hair is long, can I go to Africa too?

    ReplyDelete